Friday, January 25, 2008

I love fire alarms...

Photo Essay of my Morning:


Well... it's 8:50 in the morning on this wintry day in Provo. I am just getting back inside from the cold. All the girls in CHIPMAN HALL have been standing out there for a long time. So much for alarm clocks… I was oh-so-rudely woken up by the blaring, ear-piecing noise of our fire drills. I wanted to go back to sleep ( I went to bed very late) and did not have to get up for another hour, but remembering that I was the RA and I had 40 girl's safety to secure, I jolted up and grabbed my "black RA emergency box' and went down the stairs and outside like the rest of them. As we were all going down the stairs, it started to smell and kept getting stronger as we went down. It smelled like gas, or burning plastic. Disgusting. In the black box is a variety of things to be used for in any kind of an emergency. One of those things is a bright orange vest. I put mine on, along with the rest of the RA's. When we go outside, we have to take roll and MOST of my girls were accounted for, so I told them to go up to the Cannon Center because most of them were in their T-shirts and some in bathrobes and blankets. Well the RA's started to realize that Katie (the HA) was not there, so we had to call the police and stand out there wondering what to do...
Well there actually was no fire. It was a broken heater and the outside of it was broken off, or blown off, or something. That was where the smell was coming from. Prayers get answered, I remember asking Heavenly Father to help me to wake up today. Usually I don't ask Him for things like that, because I think His response would be, “well go to bed earlier and you will get up fine”, but last night was different. He did help me. :) I am glad for fire alarms, I should put them in my house when I have a family and we can have an emergency evacuation plan and my husband can wear a bright orange vest and call the police. It’s gonna be fun!

1 comment:

ida.ho said...

stinkyyyy i'm sorry that you were so cold today. and i LOVE your songgg lilly!! iloveyou.