Thursday, February 7, 2008

I love the Cougareat...

Actually conversation (excerpts) I had over dinner tonight:

Guy: “On my mission to Paraguay, there was this lady who was not progressing and she asked me, “What is the difference between my church (the Catholic Church) and your church (the Mormon church)? Well, I said, in my church we have a Prophet who speaks to God and in yours, the Pope wears a dress.”

Me: “Haha. That is funny.”

Guy: “Great and Abominable church…”

Me: “(BURST of Laughter)…. Well I was Catholic for the first 16 years of my life… ”

Guy: “Oh no, I am sorry, I don’t really think that”

Me: “(Laughing), No, don’t worry…it’s cool.”


I love being a convert. It provides for pure joyous awkwardness every once and a while.
What a cute old man?!?!

4 comments:

Oceanchild said...

Oh the Cougereat! I miss you so much.

You have a good sense of humor and I'm glad you get a laugh out of the silly-Mormonish comments that people make sometimes.

Miss you!

Kelli said...

Did you ever love the Pope like you do the prophet? Just curious. You're a really loving person, ya know.

Me, myself, and I said...

I never really got into the pope..although as an adult and a convert I really liked John Paul-2There have been these many popes since I was born:
Blessed John XXIII (1958-63)
Paul VI (1963-78)
John Paul I (1978)
John Paul II (1978-2005)
Benedict XVI (2005—)

And I only felt the imapact of John Paul-2 on the world...that was after I became a member! My dad was so upset that I was in Utah when the pope went to Yankee Stadium--like somnehow that would have converted me back or something?! I guess I would feel the same if my kids left the "true church". Funny thing is my dad was "inactive" in the RC church till I joined the Mormon church. Go figure?

Next week my dad is going to come to my seminary class with me (I'm bringing him for show and tell)...isn't that a BIG step?!

I'll try to not let my class eat him alive! Although I did solicit two of my football players to grab him and throw him into the baptismal font for me--heeeheee! Mostly they just want to see the man I tell the stories about and hear his New York accent.

Being a Catholic convert is great when you have to teach Old Testament seminary--I know all the stories (unlike the BOM which still sideswipes me with names I can't pronounce and characters and timelines I stll scratch my head over). Isn't diversity wonderful?!

claire said...

hmmm...some "guy..."
you should TOTALLY introduce me. mike, i mean, that guy sounds hilarious.
bwah ha ha