Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I love LENT in Ordinary Time...

Yes. It is that time of year again. LENT. I used to be a Catholic (fun times). Lent came around once a year. It's a 40 day ritual of sacrifice. For 40 days, you give up something you love in order to come closer to God. When I was a kid, all it meant was no meat on Fridays and giving up candy and pop (and no kid ever actually did that). Lent begins with ASH WEDNESDAY – TODAY!!!!. This was fun, you get ashes on your forehead from the Priest in the shape of a cross... made me breakout. LENT ends with Easter. Easter is one of the two days people actually go to church. I always liked that about Easter. It is also the one day that people feel an obligation to dress up and not wear jeans to Mass.

SO this year WHAT will I give up??? This is the question....Ideas???

1.) Pop? - this would be too easy, I never drink it anyways (except sometimes root beer with missy)
2.) Sweets? - good choice but I try not to eat too many of these anyways and cutting them out completely would be stupid.
3.) Staying up past 10:30? – ahhhh I love this one, but I work late at least twice a week.
4.) Gossip? – saying bad things about others just makes me feel better about myself so I can’t give up this one? …. (KIDDING)
5.) Shaving my legs? - This one has potential
6.) Gchat? – ummmmmmm no.
7.) COFFEE – shoot, I already did this one.
8.) Birth Control? - I don’t use it yet, and neither do the Catholics.

SO what will it be this year???
And the WINNER IS…

FISH KILLING.
(I solemnly swear not to buy any fish, nor will I kill domestic animals during Lent.)

What will you give up?

4 comments:

Oceanchild said...

oh man, i was hoping you'd give up shaving. haha. love this post and the fish killing is a good idea too.

Brian said...

don't give up gossip. It limits what you can talk about with other people.

MJ said...

hahahaha i like this one. my friend erin is catholic and she always did the whole no meat on fridays thing too. f-u-n.

Me, myself, and I said...

from one parochial girl to another...my ashes never looked like a cross, it was always a dark smear with oil dripping down!

I sure do miss the incense they waved in the beautiful cut metal censor for holidays though. That smell is ingrained in my memory banks. I found out the other day that it was frankincense that they burn. I thought maybe I would go to one of those Catholic supply stores and purchase some for home use. Is that sacriligious? I mean it makes me feel reverent. And then, I'm going to buy candles too and a roll of quarters so if anyone wants to light them they can put money in a dish to do so. Fond memories of growing up!

Bummer they have battery operated lights now (for insurance purposes-too many church fires from novena candles?) and sophisticated money vaults to put your money in now (like a vending machine)

Man I miss the reverance of a cathedral...somehow coming into a building with ground in raisins in the carpets takes the whole uuuumph out of things for me!

Although we did fast from meat on Friday's as a family...You know what I realized??? I never really gave up anything for Lent and stuck with it! (that's our little secret) guess it was the beginning of my apostasy from the Roman Catholic church!
:-)